A'chra, a village and port on the small creek of the same name,
lies on the north-west boundary of the Malvan sub-division about
ten miles north of Malvan. It had, in 1872, a population of 4507
souls, and for the five years ending 1877-78, an average trade valued at £4529 (Rs. 45,290), of which £1929 (Rs. 19,290) were exports and £2600 (Rs. 26,000) imports.
Achra was in 1555 the scene of a Portuguese victory over Bijapur troops. [De Coutto, VII. 169, in Maine's Konkan. 43.] In 1819, the year after its capture by Colonel Imlack, it was in every way unimportant.[Malvan Resident, 31st May 1819; Bom. Rev. Diaries 141 of 1819, 2311.] Its chief object of interest is the Rameshvar temple. The principal building, enclosed by a stone wall and surrounded by a paved courtyard, measures sixty-three feet by thirty-eight, and besides the shrine, has a large rest-house with accommodation for all Hindu castes. A fair, held yearly on Ramnavmi in Chaitra (March - April), is attended by about 1000 people from the neighbouring villages. The village revenues, amounting yearly to £250 (Rs. 2500), are by a grant of Shambhu Maharaj of Kolhapur, dated 1674, set apart for the support of the temple. In the river near Achra sections of slate beds are exposed. These, not hitherto worked, are probably of some economic value. A china clay or kaolin capable of being used for pottery is also found in and about the village. The fine white sandstones freely exposed in the neighbourhood are locally used as whetstones.
A'de, on a small rather deep creek three miles south of Kelsi, had,
in 1872, a population of 1884 souls, chiefly fishermen. In 1819 it was a port with a small trade in corn and fish. [Collector to Gov.15th july 1819; Bom. Rev. Diaries, 142 of 1819, 2673.] It is now of no importance. There is a small temple of Bhargavram.
Adivra, a village in the Rajapur sub-division, twelve miles west of Rajapur, with, in 1872, 4293 people, has a well known temple dedicated to Mahakali. In her honour, from the second to the tenth day of the first fortnight of Ashvin (September - October), a fair is held. Petty shops are opened and about 1000 persons attend.
Ambolgad Fort, on the bay at the north entrance of the Rajapur river, raised very little above sea level and with a ditch on the north and west sides, covers an area of a quarter of an acre. In 1818 the
fort surrendered to Colonel Imlack. [Service Record, H. M.'s IVth Rifles, 28.] In 1862 it was a complete ruin
without remains of houses, walls, or bastions. There was no garrison
and no water. Supplies were plentiful.[Gov. List of Civil Forts, 1862.]
Anjanvel, north latitude 17° 31' and east longitude 73° 15', a
village with an old fort having, along with Peth, in 1872, 3285
people lodged in 540 houses, stands on the south shore of the
entrance to the Vashishti or Dabhol river, to which also it gives the
name Anjanvel. Under the Marathas it was the head-quarters of a
district administered by a subhedar.[Nairne's MS.] In 1819, in consequence of the
removal of the head-quarters to Guhagar, it fell into insignificance, [Collector to Gov. 15th July 1819; Bom. Rev. Daries 142 of 1819, 2575.]
and since then it has grown little in size or wealth. The river
mouth, about a mile broad, is narrowed by a sandbank, that from
the north runs within two cables length of the south shore, where
on the edge of a plateau 300 feet high is the ancient temple of
Talkeshvar. On the bar at low tide are ten feet of water with, at
springs, a rise of ten feet. From its exposed position there is
generally a swell. [Taylor's Sailing Directory, 387.] A light-house is being built at the entrance of
the harbour. The average trade for the five years ending 1877-78,
was valued at £592,393 8s. (Rs. 59,23,934) of which £314,163 4s
(Rs. 31,41,632) represented exports and £2 78,230 4s. (Rs. 27,82,302)
imports. The port gives good anchorage during the fair weather
to vessels passing to and from Chiplun. The custom house at the
entrance to the harbour, and a rest-house are the only public
buildings. Coasting steamers used to call at Anjanvel. Of late their
place of call has been changed to the more sheltered port of Dabhol,
two miles higher up the river on the north bank. Weaving is the
Anjanvel fort, called Gopalgad, was built by the Bijapur kings in
the sixteenth century, strengthened by Shivaji about 1660,[Jervis' Konkan, 92.] and improved by his son Sambhaji (1681-1689). In 1699 the fort was attacked and captured by Khairat Khan, Habshi of Janjira (1680-1708), who added the lower fort, padkot.[Some Persian verses on a flat oblong stone give the date 1707 and the builder's name Sidi Saad. The verses are: Whoever built a new mansion, when he was called away did it not belong to another? God is immortal and all else subject to death. When the kind king, the light of the world, gave the order, the fort was made which he could not live to see. Sidi Saad (built) the fort. Written on the 10th of ZilHajj, the first year of the reign, Hijra 1119 (A.D. 1707).] In 1744 (December), Tulaji Angria Sirkhel took it from the Habshi, and naming it Gopalgad, added the upper fort, balekot. From him, in 1755, it passed to the Peshwa, [Nairne's Konkan, 92.] and on the Peshwa's overthrow, fell to Colonel Kennedy on the 17th May 1818.[Nairne's Konkan, 116; Service Record of B. M.'S XXIst Regiment K. I. (Marine Battalion).] The fort stands on a prominent and commanding point on the south shore of the creek entrance half a mile from Anjanvel. It covers seven acres, and is surrounded on three sides by the sea, and on the fourth by a deep ditch now partly filled. [Gov. List of Civil Forts, 1862.] There is
no complete line of outworks, only one or two covered ways leading
down to batteries. [Kairne's MS.] The fort walls, built of stone and mortar, are
very strong about twenty feet high "and eight thick, with, at some
distance from each other, twelve bastions, until very lately armed
with cannon. South of the fort is a deep trench eighteen feet broad.
There are two doors, one to the east, the other to the west. On either
side of the west door is a guardroom. The interior of the fort, once
full of buildings, still has traces of small houses. There are also
three wells with a plentiful supply of water. Near the wells is a
building said to have been the storeroom, close to it a granary,
and at a little distance the governor's palace. Till 1829, when
it was abandoned and the troops moved to Dapoli, the fort was
garrisoned by a small force of two officers and 200 native soldiers.
In 1862 it had no garrison and only eighty-eight old unserviceable
guns. [Gov, List of Civil Forts, 1862.]
Anjarla, a small port at the mouth of the Jog river, about three miles south of Ade and two north of Suvarndurg, had, in 1872,
a population of 1952 souls. The trade is in the hands of a few local merchants. Anjarla was probably never a place of consequence. In 1819 it had some trade in salt, fish, and corn. [Collector to Gov. 16th July 1819; Bom. Rev. Diaries, 142 of 1819, 2573.] Most of the
present population, belonging to the upper classes, pandharpeshas, live in well built and tiled houses standing in dense cocoa groves.