National Informatics Centre (NIC) was established in 1976, and has since emerged as a "prime builder" of e-Government / e-Governance applications up to the grassroots level as well as a promoter of digital opportunities for sustainable development. NIC, through its ICT Network, "NICNET", has institutional linkages with all the Ministries /Departments of the Central Government, 35 State Governments/ Union Territories, and about 625 District administrations of India. NIC has been instrumental in steering e-Government/e-Governance applications in government ministries/departments at the Centre, States, Districts and Blocks, facilitating improvement in government services, wider transparency, promoting decentralized planning and management, resulting in better efficiency and accountability to the people of India.
The following major activities are being undertaken:
- Setting up of ICT Infrastructure
- Implementation of National and State Level e-Governance Projects
- Products and Services
- Consultancy to the government departments
- Research and Development
- Capacity Building
At district level, NIC District Centre provide effective informatics support, technical assistance to the various state/central government departments at the district. Apart from the technical service and training, these centres also play an important role in the implementation of E-Governance applications in various departments.
NIC District Centre Ratnagiri was established in 1988 to provide effective informatics support to the District Administration & Government departments. Since then, various ICT support services are provided to District Administration & State/Central Government departments as per their needs. Following are some of the listed activities.
- NICNET Internet and Email Services to all the government departments.
- Video Conferencing services-A Video Conferencing Studio has been established by NIC at all the districts of Maharashtra. Departments use this facility for meetings and monitoring the implementation of various projects.
- Domain name registration and hosting of websites of governement departments
- Training to the user departments
- Collector office website designing, developing and hosting
- Technical assistance and consultancy
- Implementation of state/central government e-Governance projects